Friday, May 11, 2012

Delicious Lettuce Cups

(Before I get started I want to apologize for the low image quality, I just snapped a quick pic with my Iphone before I ate) 



Okay, this is the first recipe that I'm adding on here for everyone to see and try out. This recipe was featured in the May issue of Food Magazine. The lettuce wraps are technically called Spicy Turkey Lettuce Cups, but I didn't think they were that spicy. I've made these lettuce wraps a couple times so far and after I made and tried them them the first time my Aunt Dee and I altered the recipe a little bit because we thought it was lacking something. So I will list the original recipe and them afterwords ill let you know what we changed so you have both ways it you would like to alter it yourself.

Spicy Turkey Lettuce Cups
Ingredients

4 oz Thin Rice Noodles
2 Tbs Roasted Peanut Oil or Vegetable oil
Juice of 3 Limes, plus wedges for serving
4 tsp Teriyaki Sauce
1 small Red or Green Jalapeno pepper
1 2-inch piece of Ginger
Finely grated zest of 1 Lime
1 medium Yellow Pepper thinly sliced
1 medium Red Pepper thinly sliced
1 medium Red Onion thinly sliced
1 Pound Ground Turkey
1/4 cup Roasted Unsalted Cashews, roughly chopped
1/2 cup roughly chopped Fresh Cilantro and/or Mint
2 Romaine Lettuce Hearts seperated

Directions

1. Cook the noodles as the label directs, then drain and toss with 1 Tbs of the oil.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the lime juice and 2 tsp of the teriyaki sauce in a small bowl.
3. Combine the ginger, jalapeno, and lime zest in a processor and pulse until finely chopped (or use a knife to finely chop if you don't have a processor)
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once its heated add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft(~5 min).
5. Add the ginger mixture and cook, stirring, until toasted (~1 min).
6. Add the red and yellow peppers and cook, stirring for about 3 more minutes.
7. Add the turkey and remaining 2 tsp of teriyaki sauce, and then cook until the turkey is cooked through (~5 min).
8. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice mixture, cashews, and herbs.
9. Pile the rice noodles and turkey mixture and enjoy.

Now For The Changes
-You may want to add another jalapeno if you actually want this to be spicy.
-In step 7 I added an additional 1-2 tsp of teriyaki sauce.
-At step 8 instead of removing it from the heat I turned the heat to a simmer because it looks way to runny at this point. I also mix in the noodles at this point instead of placing the noodles in the lettuce then adding the turkey mixture. I found when you do it as the recipe states the noodles taste bland and seem out of place. If you mix the noodles in with the turkey mixture they absorb some of the flavors and it brings the dish together.

Side Notes
-It is a lot easier to cook this dish if you prepare everything before you actually start cooking (i.e. slice everything and make the lime mixture...)/
-If you don't feel like dealing with the lettuce (like I have on occasion) you can just add more noodles and it makes a pasta dish of sorts.
-I can't remember exactly what they are called but you can also sprinkle some of those crunchy noodles that you can find in the international food aisle in your locale supermarket.
-Another thing that I'm going to try when I make this again this weekend i am going to try and add some water chestnuts and see how that turns out.

May the force be with you
Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment