Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Code Name: Project Geek (Part 1)


This is the tutorial your're looking for (waves hand discretely).

In this series of tutorials, which I hope will be 3 parts, spread out over a couple weeks I'm going to embrace my inner geek and do a few Star Wars related tutorials. So check back often to ensure that you dont miss one.

Part 1
Simple Lightsaber Hilt

This was extremely easy to do, and if I do say so myself, turned out really good and looks a lot like an actual lightsaber. All the parts required for this project can be found at Home Depot in the plumbing section and are fairly inexpensive to pick up.
  



What You Will Need
1 - 1 1/4 Sink Drain (~ $8)
1 - 1 1/2 slip joint extension that's 6 inches long (~ $7)
A couple packs of #17 0-Rings, I used 4 packs (~ $2 each)
    OPTIONAL
Hack Saw
Misc Hardware
Wooden Dowel




1. First things first, You will want to remove the drain plug from the top of the drain. After you do that slid a few of your O-Rings onto the bottom of the drain like I have done in the picture above.


2. Once you have the O-Rings in place you need to wrap quite a bit of tape around the bottom of the pipe (this thicken the pipe so if will fit snugly into the 6 inch slip joint extension.



3. Before you slid the 2 parts together you will want to slid some O-Rings onto the slip joint extension. You can decorate this part however you want, just make sure it looks good to you. After you have your O-Rings on the extension slid the sink drain into the extension.

4. This is an optional step. I did not like how the T-Joint area stuck out so far, so using a hack saw I cut it down to a length that felt more comfortable to me.

5. On my lightsaber this step is yet to be completed. Here is where you want to glue or screw on all the decorative pieces such as your on/off button and/or adjustment knobs. This can be done with miscellaneous hardware (bolts and screws) or pretty much anything you find laying around that you think will work. This part isn't completed on mine yet because I have yet to find the pieces that look just right, but when I do I will update this with the completely finished product.

I haven't tried this yet, but when I was surfing the internet trying to find inspiration for this project some people said that you can slid a wooden dowel down into your saber (make sure its a tight fit) and have mock duels. If you do want to try this part, the standard lightsaber blade is 3 feet long so be sure to get a dowel that is long enough to slide into your saber and still have 3 feet of it showing.

May the force be with you.
Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment