Saturday, January 28, 2012

Real Steel Review



Summary (by Amazon.com)


Sometime in the not-too-distant future, boxing has been outlawed and replaced by fighting matches with robots. Big robots. Hulking, rock 'em, sock 'em mechanical robots. But if those machines are cutting edge, Real Steel sticks to an old-fashioned style of storytelling, with a tale of a down-and-out fight manager (Hugh Jackman) looking for a good 'bot to get back in the game, and get back out of debt. Hearts are further tugged by the arrival of this guy's 11-year-old son (Dakota Goyo), who hasn't seen his dad in many years but now needs tending. There's something endearing about the way nobody ever pauses to remark on the fact that they are in the presence of giant remote-controlled prizefighting robots; it's taken for granted in this cockeyed universe. Loosely inspired by a Richard Matheson-penned episode of The Twilight Zone, Shawn Levy's film is lavishly mounted and fairly ridiculous--although in this case, the human interactions are more preposterous and formulaic than the fun robot action.



What I Thought


I know this movie has been out for a while but I didn’t get a chance to see it in theaters and I finally got around to renting it the other day. After repeatedly being told that this was a really good movie, I was looking forward to watching it. This movie was a lot better than I expected and I’m glad that there’s finally a movie out that breaks away from the standard clichés constantly coming out now. I’m sure I’m not the only who thinks this but when I watch this movie I think of Rock’em Sock’em Robots. But anyway back to the point. Two of my favorite parts in this movie are, of course, boxing scenes but they are very cool none-the-less. The first scene was the fight between Atom and Twin Cities. I don’t want to give too much away but I thought this was a very cool scene where the underdog is on his way to the top. Though this may be a cliché in itself, my other favorite scene was the last part of the movie which was the fight between Atom and Zeus. I thought it was very interesting to see Hugh Jackman’s character Charlie Kenton shadow box Zeus. I was a little disappointed with how it ended but overall it was still a very good movie. I would recommend that you take the time to rent and watch this movie assuming you haven’t already…and if you have already seen it just watch it again. 


1 comment: