Thursday, January 19, 2012

What Can You Do

I thought for today's post I would talk about what I am currently doing for a living. As I briefly mention in the about me section I am a cook and, for the time being, the Assistant Kitchen Manager at Cafe Ollie in Ypsilanti, Mi. Cafe Ollie is a small coffee shop located in Depot Town, which is a small neighborhood of Ypsilanti. The menu is made up mostly of sandwiches and salad for meals and miscellaneous baked goods, coffee drinks, and ice cream desserts for all your other needs. I was offered a position at Cafe Ollie almost 1 year ago. When I took the job it was to start off as a dishwasher and since then I have been working my way up to where I am now. Before I started working at Cafe Ollie the extent of my cooking knowledge was Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and scrambled eggs, but since then I have learned quite a bit about cooking and have gained a passion for it as well. Of course no one really likes their 9 to 5 jobs so there are times during my day when i'm thinking to myself  "are you serious, another freaking order", but I really do enjoy cooking especially on my own time when i'm free to take however long I want and am able to cook (or try to cook) whatever I want. I probably should point out that I am not a great cook but I enjoy working towards becoming a better cook by trying new ideas for the Cafe or by learning what I can from my family.

Since i'm talking about the Cafe at which I cook I thought it would only be fair to show you all some of my handywork, so here you go.
 

This is one of our most popular sandwich's, The Dusty Spectacle.
Sounds fun and exciting right? All it really is, is cheddar cheese and chicken salad topped with balsamic onions, lettuce and tomatoes (or in the case of my lunch, pictured above, avocados) served on toasted ciabatta.

So If you are ever in the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area feel free to stop in for a late lunch or dinner and experience some of my awesome cooking.

May the force be with you.
Dylan 

1 comment: